(from the facebook page of the Historical Museum of Crete)
The Society of Cretan Historical Studies, as part of its series of events under the general title “In two acts: Art and Education at the museum” (2018), which are under the auspices of the Ministry of Culture, is organizing a two-day seminar of museum theatre for adults, in collaboration with Heterotopia on Saturday and Sunday, 17 and 18 of November 2018, at the Historical Museum of Crete.
THE SEMINAR AT THE HISTORICAL MUSEUM OF CRETE
Speakers: Fotini Venieri, Rebecca Shelley
The seminar is addressed to professionals of museums, actors, directors, educators and any who wish to acquaint themselves with a fascinating aspect of theatre which is applied in the museum environment.
In particular, the aim of the seminar is the familiarization with:
• the field of museum theatre in Greece and globally
• the practical aspects of the implementation of a museum theatre performance
• the ways through which it can create a “safe framework” for the interpretation of “difficult” and “sensitive” themes
Duration: 12 hours (6 hours/day) | Seminar language: English (with simultaneous translation to Greek) | Participation fee: 45 euro | Applications: Τ. (+30) 2810-288708, ext.: 106.
TIMETABLE OF THE SEMINAR
◢ Saturday, 17 November 2018 | 10:00-16:00
• Museum theatre: History and forms
• Museum theatre as an interpretative strategy – ways of inclusion, case studies from the Greek and international experience
• Museum theatre and authenticity: How does it affect the understanding of authenticity and what is authenticity for you or for your museum?
• Implementation of museum theatre: Difficulties and adjustment
• Functions and priorities of the Greek museums: How do they develop?
• Preparation for creating a (hypothetical) museum theatre scenario: the participants will study their own museum or a museum of their interest to detect the stories that can be brought to life through museum theatre.
◢ Sunday, 18 November 2018 | 10:00-16:00
• Review of the first day and discussion about the preparation of the participants for the creation of a museum theatre scenario
• Historical character development: methodology
• We develop our own historical characters: exercises
• Overview – discussion